Wednesday 4 September 2013

Idiot meets Fimo

I am the best at ferreting out information from the web - no, really, I am...but...can I find anything definitive or succinct about working with polymer clay - nope!   There is a ton of stuff all assuming you know the basics - then there's the odd basic this that or the other with none of them covering all the bases.  I even bought an Angie Scarr book - which is lovely but in a way off-putting because she makes incredible things like 'real' cabbage leaves - I kinda know I am never going to get there!   Absolutely no-one but no-one tells me how long to bake stuff for.  Yeah I know you can spend jolly hours making all kinds of thicknesses and cooking at all kinds of temperature but come on - how many of us have that sort of patience?  Then there are the warnings of DANGER!!!!!! from (predominately) American sites - don't eat it - well I wasn't planning on that, don't lick your fingers or utensils, I didn't consider that either, don't cook in the oven you will cook food in or the whole family will dies of terrible plagues etc etc etc.  Basically the stuff is supposed to smell when it heats up and leave a film which goes on vapourising - polymer = plastic = it smells.  I guess if you did loads of it for a living or large objects it might make sense.  The amount I did I couldn't even detect the slightest whiff.


After a huge amount of procrastination - months in fact - out came the clay.  First problem...... I had been told by a lady at a stall at a small show that I didn't need the three chocolate colours I was looking for - white chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate I just needed brown, white and black and I could mix them.  Do you think she told me that because she didn't have the other colours??????  Another person said I needed to mix in translucent if I was making chocolates to give them a sheen.  I have no idea if it did or not - if anything wasn't shiny enough I just covered it in clear nail polish.  The upside of the translucent was it made the clay easier to work.  As you can see from this picture the first thing that happens is the wretched stuff all crumbles up, so you have to pull it back together and keep working it until you can do something with it.


I soon got the knack of making sausages and twisting them together to blend the colours.  Part way through doing this I thought it might make those nice stripy shell chocolates you can get.....and I had a shell mold.










Quite pleased with these but wouldn't want to make hundreds of them.  I found clay at this size was too warm when you'd finished mauling it and it came out of the mold easier for baking after five minutes in the freezer - but it does slow down the process to the point of being frustrating.








Then I got creative and made anything I liked to fill sweetie jars.

I baked all of these at 110 degrees centigrade for less than ten minutes - incidentally - and just like everyone else I am not saying that's how long they need!!!!!!! Because I have no idea if they are done properly.







They look just fine on the shelf.  I got pink by the way by mixing in acrylic paint???














............and the Nipples of Venus look just fine.  Again the nipples are acrylic paint.

If I can ever find time before I go show shopping I might have a go at making cakes rather than buying them.  Must be easier than tiddly stuff????

4 comments:

  1. Boy I love your posts Em! You speak for many would be mini food makers I am certain! I periodically take a stab at .Fimo myself but I am never happy because the food never looks like what I see on the internet and I am too spoiled now to settle for my own stuff! Anyway, I like what you have done, Em and I say keep at it. You look like you may have worked out a good method all on your own. Your little shell chocolates are REALLY GOOD! I'm impressed!
    Here is something that I have done for chocolates that works in a pinch: Use fabric paint. Squeeze a dollop like a bead onto a sheet of waxed paper and let it dry completely, it will shrink some so add another layer like a bead to the top if necessary. You may actually want to try squeezing the paint onto a seed bead right from tube and see it it saves you some time! The paint dries shiny and stays mounded and you can decorate them as well or ball them up into a bit of shiny foil for any that don't look good enough to display. I made some of these using Tulip brand fabric puff paint and also Scribbles brand which has colors like cocoa, hot chocolate etc. as well as others . . As I was typing this , I decided to try this out Real time and I made a 27 on a piece of matt board and they are the right size and shape. I also just tried the seed bead and it works too. I will be curious as to how it dries down, perhaps with an indentation in the centre? ( I love to experiment ) They will shrink but if you are needing a lot this will cut down some time and still give you the effect that you want. If you line them up on a sheet of thin acetate cut to size ,you will be able to insert the acetate into you display pans without having to remove the chocolates at all! Anyway this is all just a thought and I hope it will be of some help to you.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a star - thank you - I have copied that and put it in my project folder. I might shop first and make later! I am up for two shows this month. I would like just a few really beautiful creations to finish off windows etc and they won't be made by me. I might keep coming back to the Fimo thingy though as I sort of love/hated it. If I decide I need quantity as well as quality to stock shelves I will certainly go to your method. Thanks again - also for taking time to 'chat'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again Em, an UPDATE;
    I just checked the dots of chocolate that I squeezed out yesterday and they are all pretty good, even the one with the seed bead as the core, but The Tulip brand paint spread way more than the Scribbles which had nearly no spread and very little shrinkage. They are all still rounded like those cherry chocolates usually are. No touch up needed either. Just thought I would let you know.
    Have fun at the show and I agree; You need a SHOW STOPPER or two for the windows! Happy hunting and I wish that I was there too! I love shopping for minis and I will wait to see just what you come home with. As to the fimo, Em, I think that you are off to a great start anyway and if you keep at it, who knows you may just become the next FOOD NETWORK SUPERSTAR! ( in mini of course):D
    Have fun!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, right! Don't think so - two reasons - lack of natural talent and too lazy to keep at it - I like short cuts like your paint tip - did you say chocolate cherries - only my most favourite chocolate - cherries in Kirsch but only the really great high quality ones!!! For some things only the best will do.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.