Tuesday 10 September 2013

Going dolally

I am hoping my shopping blip at the show on Sunday is not a sign of impeding lunacy.  I only bought four items and two of them I don't actually want, one of them is OK and will do as a stand-in until something better comes along and the fourth is fine but doesn't fit the space I have for it.  This is no reflection on the show - I wasn't in shopping mode for some reason.  Maybe it is because at this stage of a project I pretty much have everything I need/want and I am just looking for those very few special items that, in reality, I may never find.

 The first was this absolutely fantastic book showing how to make doll's houses and stairs and doors and windows and furniture and all sorts of stuff.  Really tremendous - the only problem being I have no intention of making a 1/12th house!!!  I honestly picked it up because for some stupid reason I thought it said (well actually worse than that I thought it meant!) 1/24th houses.  Now I wouldn't mind having a go at those in mount-board or something.

So this will be up for sale soon on my site.

Anyone reading this I can bring it to Miniatura if you like - this would save on hefty postage as it weighs a ton. 
£8 please






My second purchase was quite a nice cake - if a bit boring.  I liked the texture of this one.  I think I could probably have made one of these.  It is a perfect fit for the plate in the shop window and will do if I don't find a spectacular one.









This is the other brainstorm purchase.  I won't be continuing my Fimo career and this pack even includes glitter Fimo - what was I thinking.  I was actually thinking fondant cakes, but I don't need any!!  As I said, faculties failing?

Something else to pass on.














This is a nice piece of kit from J & A Supplies - an encaustic tiled Victorian hall floor. It is printed on a sort of plasticised (but fairly matt) sort of paper.  Downside with this is that not one single part of this sheet will fit the doorway space I am trying to fill.  Everywhere I put the space it overlaps a contrasting piece of the floor but doesn't encompass it.  At this stage I am thinking I might cut it into tiles and reform it the way I want. Such a shame to hack it up, but it was only £1.50 (terrific value for such a nice product) so it won't hurt too much.








2 comments:

  1. Hi Em! You know I have been there too! Come back from shopping excursions with a whole lot of Nothin!. This was a more frequent occurrence when I was a relative 'newbie' to shows back in the day. I am surprised that you have had this temporary loss of reason hit You!? What happened here? ( smiles) Don't despair of your faculties though, Em. I believe that you are right, in that those tiles can most definitely be reconfigured and used effectively. With the price being so reasonable and the tiles so wonderful, it would be a crying shame if they never did more than just say "hello and goodbye"! Then you really would be dolally!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I haven't a clue where my brain was that day. In part, the problem is we have turned the point where I am only thinking forward to being in the States - we normally leave at the end of September and the last month is always just a count-down and a procrastination to 'we'll have to do that next summer'. My show-head is fixed on Miniatura here and Philadelphia there - Stafford did get shoe-horned in just a few days before, so it kind of wasn't on the radar.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.