Thursday 1 August 2013

Finished the roof just in time

The last exterior job was finished with a day to go before the end of the month.

I am trying to work to an exact schedule so I can write a piece for DH&MS at the end of each month covering a particular aspect of making Chocolat. I don't want to cheat it or it becomes pointless.  I want to be able to present a series in real time without any retrospective thoughts or actions, so readers can see what I did wrong as well as what I managed to get right.  Because I decamp at the end of October I devised a schedule covering one area a month before I leave.  July has been the exterior work.


I commend Versi roof tiles to you even if decide you don't need/want the versi-bricks.  The tiling is really easy and quick.  You can draw guidelines so there is no messing around trying to keep things on track.  I also lay down a line of glue and do about ten tiles at a time - this glue line is a bit short!

You need to find an undercoat that 'matches' your tiles so no light bits show through.  As you can see it doesn't have to be all that close.  This is the closest I could get in a match pot.  Not surprisingly there isn't a great clamour for red/brown paint.  It was absolutely fine.

The tiles come with instructions so I won't repeat them here.  What a great effect at the end.

My work for August is to get the chocolates and their displays done.  I feel a bit overwhelmed by this as it involves a lot of work.  I have to make some display furniture, finish and stain counters, shelves etc, fit out the windows in some way, make the chocolates and a couple of cakes and arrange them around a rather large shop area.   This might be the month that 'breaks me'.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Em! This is such great looking tile and I you seem to have gotten it up and on the roof without a whole lot of mishap. It looks to be just regular tacky glue and if it is, did the weight of the tiles slide or shift at all as you installed them. I know nothing at all about the Versi tiles except what I see here. They look like they have some body to them and the speckled pattern is both striking and unique! I love your finished work. It looks Wonderful!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth. I LOVE versi bricks and tiles. I don't want to do the mesh type plastering bricks because I'm not confident enough to paint them realistically and it makes the house very heavy. Similarly with brick slips and real slate - they weigh a ton. I think the versi things give a great 3D effect and work well. It is a sort of cardboard, very well 'coloured' and gritty but weighs next to nothing and is easy to cut and glue. As you say - regular glue and no weight therefore no shift. If you look at Bentleys you can see the red brick wall finish and grey slate roof. Hence this one being in buff and red tiled roof - I want to try it all. There are ridge tiles and long bricks for round corners - go look at the Richard Stacey site. You can get a catalogue and box with samples of all their products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em! I did indeed go to the site and what a wonderful selection they have! I didn't realize that they were made of card and I like the description that you have given, makes sense. My good friend Janine of MINWORKS, blog and her hubby, developed an authentic "slate roof" that is also made of card. I can be incredibly lazy about somethings such as tile, and so rather than having to make my own I am thinking about having them already cut. Yours look so good on the roof and the color is so interesting to look at! Thanks for the additional information about the Versi tiles. Much appreciated!

      elizabeth

      Delete
  3. Janine's tiles are stupendous but i wouldn't have the required patience I'm afraid. It takes all I have just to stick them on when someone else has made them. I have seen wonderful bricks cut from sandpaper and recoloured so they look real but, again, literally thousands of tiny bricks to cut...... email me (mormson@gmail.com) if you want any close up photos or anything which would help you decide.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.