Friday 30 August 2013

Window displays

Just two days to the end of the month.  I'll be lucky if I get the displays done in that time frame.  I know they will be missing chocolates and cakes and sweets but I have to buy those at Miniatura next month.  I am writing about Chocolat in real time for the magazine and have a set of particular things to do each month.  August should have been electrics and September the displays of goodies (after Miniatura) but I ordered some lights from Ray Storey for a September pick up at Miniatura so I couldn't do the electrics and I had to do a switch.  I am almost equally scuppered by the same problem i.e. not having the stuff to do the displays until after the big show.   Name of the game I'm afraid.

Any way, today I managed to get the two window displays set up ready to be filled.


patisserie window
The right hand window will be the one for patisseries. I want a large very beautiful cake for the doily on the floor in the centre.  I hope to get petits fours or maybe fancy biscuits or, even better, macarons for the two tier cake stand.  Then it will be whatever I can find that's different to fit the other two stands/plates.


chocolate window













I am pleased with my chocolate Venus even if she is actually a slave girl in chains - just don't look too closely.  She is an essential part of the movie as it is the turning point for the Marie who breaks in during the night to wreck the 'lustful' display and ends up eating it and passing out.  He  has (extreme) fasted for Lent so we assume a serious sugar rush!  The lovely oversize truffles are peppercorns - they work really well.  I have to make Nipples of Venus for the rectangular tray and hope to buy beautiful chocolates for the other trays.


True2scale decals
I added some decals to some plastic 'dishes' to tart them up.  I can't afford fine china (aka Stokesey) so I like the plastic because they are nice and thin but then hate them because they are plastic!  Best compromise disguise them.  This system works well and doesn't break the bank.

I don't cut the decals to fit I cut them slightly oversize and when they are dry trim them back to the plate/saucer. The dishes should be painted cream first - not essential as the decals cover the whole surface.  The decals on the cups are a pain to do as they are so tiny.  These cups really needed to be cream though as the decals (obviously) don't cover the whole cup.  I did have four cream cups ready for the decals but then discovered they have ridges in them - aaaarrgh! so I just did a short-cut and lobbed the flower trim on the white ones.  Vianne has a bundle of mixed dishes so it will be fine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Em! I love the window displays and the red that you have used as a backdrop is a wonderful contrast and really highlights the contents! Your Venus is a 'slave to love' and looks just like a chocolate sculpture. Very clever adaptation. I hear you about the plastic dishes but the decal upgrades are a practical as well as very pretty way to get the volume of dishes needed in a display. Your Ray Storey lights sound so exciting! I was on his site, not long ago and my eyes grew so big! His light fixtures are heavenly!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was just brilliant - he is making me four shop lights at about £8 each - I couldn't believe it. I always stop and look at his lights because they are so beautiful (they spoil you for anything else though)but sadly they are more than I can afford. I got talking to him about the simplest single shade one on his stand and said it was so like what I wanted but not quite and he said he'd make them for me. I can't tell you how thrilled I am - all my Christmasses in one!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.