Monday 26 August 2013

Finally getting started on August!

Yesterday - the 25th I actually started on the August list of jobs.  Firstly I got out the teeny chocolates I'ordered a while ago and tried to decorate them.  Mmmmm??? not exactly brilliant  but, on the basis I only need a few things for actual 'posh' display and I can buy those (!), these will do fine.  Nothing wrong with the original product - they were excellent:



I just haven't a clue how to go about adding to them.  This is my attempt at the first lot of milk chocolates.


They are less than a quarter of an inch across, so fiddly isn't the right word to describe it.  I made up a tray for Sally - she's the figure I keep handy to check scale when I am working.  As you can see a chocolate getting on for four inches in real life might be the best thing ever but it is not what you would call in scale.  The problem is that to be any where near accurate they need to be a twelfth of an inch, maximum. Not only is this some challenge to make they would be nigh on invisible in a room setting.  As PK said, you might as well use bits off the carpet!


Today I sorted out all the stuff I have gathered relating to shop displays and was pleased to find there was quite a bit of it.  This is just one of seven groups of things - Sally seems to have got in there as well.


I then did a rough 'arrange'on the furniture to see what I need to buy from Miniatura.  Again this is just one of the seven display areas - the glass-fronted counter.  I can fill the chocolate trays as I said, so I need truffles or two 'somethings' for the cake stand on top, a large centre cake below and enough for two platters of petit fours.  Did I say Vianne is branching out into patisserie as well as chocolats?  The English don't appreciate fine chocolate but they love their cakes.


Finally the seven lots of display items were put gently into a pencil-labelled envelope (so I can re-use them) ready for when the furniture is made and/or stained/waxed/painted.  For those of you who click to enlarge the photos, try to look at the envelopes and not Johnny Depp.  That's the screen shot I am using for reference.









2 comments:

  1. Hi Em! I like what you have done with the decorated chocolates and they really look nice in the tray too! I think that I would make them just a little more glossy so they read better in the photos but the ornamentation is really good! I found that it is hard to maintain exact scale when dealing with things as tiny as these because as you say, they may as well then be carpet lint! I honestly think that it is better to have something visible rather than invisible and most miniaturist would agree that there has to be some compromises in some areas in order to get the best overall effect . Meanwhile, I am impressed with your organization once again! I think the envelopes are a great idea especially for these teeny tiny items! Isn't it amazing as well, just how much you have when you get it all out and in front of you as opposed to what you thought you had which is usually not enough!? These things do add up but you obviously already have a very substantial collection to continue building on! How Exciting! Have fun at Miniatura!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for taking time to write and for being kind about my chocolates. I really have no idea what I am doing in Fimo world and still have to try to actually make something. I spend hours and hours trawling the web and Angie Scarr's book but all the how-to's seem so wishy-washy and ill-defined somehow. I really do need Fimo for Dummies! The gloss on mine was clear nail polish - no idea if it degrades or not. As you said sometimes scale has to be compromised but it niggles at me. The envelopes are cheaper, stack easier and are more forgiving to the contents than loads of boxes. I only use them in this way and at this stage but it is handy for sorting out a heap of stuff when you come to dress rooms. I shall rub out the pencil and use them again when I come to actually dress the apartment upstairs. As for Miniatura I'm as giddy as a kipper - I am doing both days!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.