Tuesday 15 October 2013

The Sitting Room


Again the sitting room is pretty much finished.  


Vianne has kicked off her shoes and bag from an earlier shopping trip and her abandoned book is on the chair from last night's reading session.  

Anouk's part-built card house must stay there until it is either finished or it falls down.  Anouk has left her doll to keep an eye on it as she cannot trust her mother not to move it.

The chess table is set up (It nearly drove me crazy!) ready for a game.



The jug is waiting for some forsythia.  I bought a True"scale kit but decided it was beyond my capabilities so I am now on the look out for some talented person having already  made some.

The fire isn't plugged in as it travels from room to room and was in the bedroom last night. February is freezing in England.  It made it to the kitchen this morning and is now in the sitting room for later on.  Please note the radio is plugged in so heaven knows where the fire is going to go. 

Anything on the shelves is probably temporary - I shall be on the lookout for appropriate 'trinklements' (another mother expression - boy, this fifties malarkey sets me back).

I love the bowl of nuts - probably bird seed?




The matching set of shelves on the right is stuffed with books and two precious matching trios that belonged to Vianne's mother - they will stay.  Again, the rest is a moveable feast.  I think the fruit is OK as it is nicely imperfect.

The music stand and flute are fine there - looks odd near the door but the door opens just fine without impinging on it and it is ready to go whenever its wanted.

One door mat completes this corner.



Ooooh! - wonky hooks - need to straighten those. The picture is The Kiss by Klimt and is seen as further proof of Vianne's immorality by anyone in the village who enters this room.

The desk is a working area complete with cash book, stamp and ink pad, blotter, pens, pencils, papers, letters.

On top is an eclectic collection from an ormolu clock through a Buddha to a  decanter set and a tiny water colour painting.  Very much reflecting Vianne's peripatetic life.

There is a box of files on the left of the desk and a over-size book box on the right stuffed with games and magazines to occupy the evenings with Anouk.


(Come back tomorrow to look at the shop)






6 comments:

  1. Hi Em! I love the activity going on in the living room! You have mixed the various elements to achieve a moment where time is standing still! The space heater is so appropriate to the time and place and the radio is wonderful! I recently made a house of card using teeny tiny cards like yours and I know what a challenge it actually is! Your chess game is lovely and I really like the cardboard box that is sitting next to the desk! It is funny that That piece, makes it All feel very real to me. :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, I've had a lovely time watching your comments come in. It's lovely to think someone is looking at my stuff. I don't have friends who 'understand' the mini thing... Which is fine but it does mean I work in a sort of vacuum.The fire is one of my favourite things ever. I made the house of cards on my first build....fiddly but loved it. You used my favourite phrase....looks real.....yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know how I missed this post but your sitting room is gorgeous. For some reason it looks bigger than mine in Lottie's Tea Room. I see that you haven't put in a door yet, are you planning to as I still haven't found one to fit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There isn't any ready made door to fit this space, so it is a case of making one or getting one made. I set off on that route and then realised you can't design a doorway that looks right as an interior between two rubbish rooms above a shop - they would never had had some grand glass framed or double door job. Most of all I wanted a bead curtain from Venerable Bead but that hasn't happened either. Another option is a curtain and curtain pole. As mine is between a kitchen and sitting room I think it is acceptable to just leave it open...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try making a bead curtain someday as I did a beading course a couple of years ago and still have lots of those tiny seed beads.

      Delete
  5. They really look good when they are in scale, even have that clinky clanky movement I love. I have hunted and hunted for tiny wooden beads or ones that look like bamboo as that would be perfect for my setting, but , no joy. I even went as far a figuring out how to make them and then realised I was decidedly mentally unstable as I would need a gazillion! hat are those tiny tube shaped beads called? They would be great - go look at Venerable Bead's site. I only don't have one because I couldn't find a colour that worked. He will make to fit or you could put two together and lob off the excess?

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.