Sunday 2 June 2013

End of woodworking month

I am writing about this project month by month for DH&MS so I have made myself be really disciplined and stick to a particular set of skills per month.  In April I did the demolition, in May I did any necessary woodwork.  Doing this on the 30th May I just managed to get it in the time frame!  Not a rule-breaker, me.


clamp and everything
Bursting with (over)confidence in my new found skills with saw and glue I decided to make the 'shelves' to go in the window for displaying stuff.

I measured and marked up the pieces on some balsa (?) bass (?) - basically -  thin wood.  I was really pleased with myself as I managed to saw smack on the lines.  Trouble with this malarkey is that cutting has more than one dimension - nice straight lines are all right but the actual cut didn't go through the wood at a nice ninety degrees so when I came to join two pieces of wood it was a bit of a challenge.  (ELF would be ashamed of me)


it actually fits
This is the first fit and I have to say it was spot on - side to side and top to bottom.  I have since added trim and doors to the cupboard underneath but I was remiss in forgetting to take pictures.











clever clogs
I was sharp enough to record the bragging photo though.  Just look at this outward mitre.  I am so pleased with that.  I promise you it was done just like this - no cutting several pieces or sanding or anything.  I just did two pieces of trim in the mitre block and they went together like a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.