Friday 28 June 2013

End of June and decorating.


So here we are..... all the interior decorating is done (and written about for DH&MS) so I am on target - nice feeling.

I am not sure about all the walls having the same idea of the chair height border.  The problem upstairs was twofold.... I couldn't find appropriate wall paper for the period or even anything else that I liked.  I even bought two lots and rejected them!  I was then left with just paint and that is too boring.  The rooms won't take coving or ceiling border because of the dropped ceiling at the front of the building so I seemed to be left with ..........

Someone kindly reminded me that once 'filled' with furniture and stuff it will all look very different.  Hope so because, right now, it looks pitifully boring.


The border in the shop is an 'essential' as it is in the movie.  Vianne has stencilled a border round the shop walls so I really wanted that to happen.  I did it with stamping.  This included stamping of feet too when it didn't go well.  I had never done it before and when I was first trying it I was totally useless - see the photo!

I took a lunch break and went back to it and by then just didn't care any more and with that attitude, guess what, it worked like a dream.  The secret to success is just 'do it'. I also applied the ink to the stamp using the ink pad  instead of trying to ink up the stamp by pressing it on the ink pad.  No idea if you should do it that way but it worked like a charm for me.  I got the idea of 'sloppy' stamping when I dropped the stamp on the paper accidentally and that produced the best print of all!

Go for it is now my motto.


Another discovery was ....

I needed to cut out film to make frosted glass on a shaped window.  Not easy to trace and no outline to draw round.  Easy peasy - I photocopied the door and cut out the window.  Voila a perfect template to enable me to cut out the plastic.

That said - I don't like the end result.  The cutting out is fine but the glass just doesn't look frosted or right some how.  I think I might  buy a new front door with no glass.  Better for a front door any way but it is a pig as it means  more money and more painting.



This method I have done for a long time.  If you want to line up a border round a room forget pithering around measuring and drawing pencil lines and then trying to just cover them up etc etc.  Cut a piece of card the right height and just slide it around as you work.

I also use cut up cards for transferring measurements from one place to another - so much easier than fiddly measuring and marking.



That's it for June then - see you next month.

2 comments:

  1. I always marvel at your creative problem-solving! I've had the same problem with wallpaper, but I guess it's good to have a few patterns 'on hand' for potential future projects.

    --John

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.