Sunday 23 June 2013

Kindness of strangers

I have written four posts today - this one followed by another three.


I have a rotten time finding floors for all my projects.

The mass of stuff is printed paper - like wallpaper.  It just doesn't have the 'weight' to look right.

In Bentleys I did end up sticking a piece to card to make it look more lino-ish - but it isn't great.

The next choice up is printed card and these are varying qualities to say the least and always look like printed card.  Tile prints are usually super-shiny.  Project after project gets floored in wood for sheer lack of choice.

Happily I came across mmminiatures - an EBay shop.  It was offering lovely looking wall tiles and one of the patterns gave a suggestion of the tiles in Chocolat so I asked if the wall tiles would join up OK to fit a floor.  The owner decided she would have a go at making floor tiles; so she enlarged the tile a little and printed out three A4 sheets.  They are absolutely wonderful.  Printed in a sort of silky finish - not dull matt but not super shiny.  The material is a sort of laminate not card or paper so has the weight and feel of a 1/12th tile or lino.  I am sure if you wanted even more authenticity you could cut the tiles into individuals and then lay them down to get the ultimate 3D gap between them.  I have every intention of doing that in my next project in a smaller (kitchen or bathroom) area.

She has gone on to create and offer more patterns this size and produce wonderful lino reproductions.  Her rugs are also lovely.  I am thrilled to find her - go check it out, even if you don't need anything now this is a site to bookmark for when you do.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tip, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is really worth a look if you need tiles, rugs or lino. Great prices too.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.