Monday 27 May 2013

Privy 0, Me 1




I decided I wasn't happy being beaten by the privy door which restricted my decorating inside and so I managed to lever it off.  Lets face it I can't store my bike and stuff in there unless it give it a good couple of coats of whitewash!

I then decided it was waaaay over-trimmed for an outside loo - you'd be lucky if the door even fitted properly, so I prised off the trim so that the door and its frame would just sit inside the gap.

I even intend to chip bits of the bottom of the door - rot?rats?
Thanks to Sussex Crafts for the photo







In truth all this was prompted by a lovely looking, really working, lever latch from Sussex Crafts.  This needs the door and its frame to be on a level with each other which mine now is without its grand trim.






This photo shows the back of the door.  it is perfectly neat and tidy on its front face.

The only down-side - and there always is one - is that I now have to shim up the frame as there is quite a bit of slack between it and the wall.  I am hoping a couple of shims and some wood filler and a rub down before the wall is painted might do the job.  I do keep saying grunge is needed.  All this because I want a latch.  Oh, and yes, it will need hinges and be made to open outwards so you can fully appreciate the latch from both sides and (incidentally) see the contents of what is now a store room.

There are moments of realisation in this passion when I recognise insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.