Tuesday 21 May 2013

Mock Dremel

Last April I bought an 80 piece rotary tool set for $10.  I hadn't a clue what the 80 things did so it has sat in the cupboard glaring at me.

Finally  I used just one tool once.  I tried to sand some paintwork with what has turned out to be a grinding/sharpening stone.  I thought the pink things might be for fine sanding.  It immediately clogged up with white paint.  As the whole thing turned white and smooth I thought I had just worn off the pink sanding surface!  I chucked it back in the box, decided the kit was rubbish - what do you expect for $10 and closed the cupboard door.  

This month,
 desperate for something to cut grooves in floors for wiring, I set off back on the sorting out the mock-Dremel quest.  I spoke to another blogger who showed me pictures of the grooves she cut and she said she used her Dremel and a thing on a stick.  Back to the trusty internet.  I came up with another useful blog explaining what did what and a fantastic poster from the Dremel site which enables you to identify your stuff.... bit like a Flowers of the British Countryside type of thing.  I'll let you know how I get on with the groove cutting stick - no it isn't an actual router; I don't have any of those.
  

Meanwhile here is a photo of the clogged up 'grinding stone' next to a sample of how it should look. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your "groovy" pics! I hope you manage to find a bit that does the job - it can make life soooo much easier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am getting to be an expert (in theory) on rotary tools and their bits!! I have even managed to clean the bunged up grinding tool with sand paper - I think you are supposed to use a whet stone????? See what I mean about 'getting to be'.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.