Wednesday 15 May 2013

I believe in fairies.... well, elves

This may not look very exciting but I am thrilled to bits with it.

I am trying as much possible to re-create the shop in 'Chocolat' and on the back wall is the door to the kitchen and around it is a built in cupboard.  I only have the vaguest, dimmest single shot of it from the movie.  I sent this and some very rough dimensions (not really measurements) to the wonderful Elizabeth at ELF and in a short space of time (despite some RL difficulties) here it is.

She has cut everything to order and added in extra trims to try to make it as close to the picture as possible.  She also wrote me a two page letter on how best to go about putting it all together.  Now all I have to do is build it and stain it!





Just look at the wonderfully detailed, exquisitely tiny door knobs.  They measure a quarter of an inch, top to toe.





How she managed to make anything from this picture and my scrawl I have no idea.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Em, touching base here just to let you know that I have been following Chocolat - fascinated by all the most ordinary details too, like the dummy doors. It's always useful to pass on good experiences with suppliers, so thanks for that. Hope to see the 'archway'cupboard soon, in situ! Chas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Real Life chores keep intervening.... really must crack on soon as it need to be written about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are going to have a lot of fun putting all that together and it's so satisfying when you finally find the bits that do the job, especially when recreating an already existing room.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.