Wednesday 17 April 2013

Demolition continues

I did this work some days ago but RL has intervened.  I seem to have three full-time jobs as a retiree - a contradiction in terms?  Gardening, mini-making, writing could each occupy a full working day for me without being expected to actually do other stuff like eat, sleep and talk to folk.  Notice no house cleaning or other mundane chores listed there.

Any way here are some photos and explanation of the wrecking of the front of the shop.


I removed each individual quoin.  They are going to take a lot of cleaning up before  repainting.  I also prised off the upper windows and trims, inside and out.  I have bought new ones with a bit more about them.  The biggest relief was successfully removing the shop front and detaching its doors.  That should make it a lot easier to repaint them.

After inspecting some wrinkles and bumps on the inside wall I realised it was painted paper and would need to come off.  I wonder how the 50:50 fabric conditioner and water will do on that.



I hate to be beaten but the inside of the privvy will have to stay as it is.  There is no way I can get in there to do it without removing the door which would require wrecking it.  I might paint over it, as in a 1950's white wash, and try to do something with the floor but there is no way I am attempting to scrape the paper off first.  To be honest right now it may remain closed.  I have bought a padlock for it (seriously).  By 1959 it probably was no longer being used as an outside toilet any way and would have ended up whitewashed and filled with junk and a bike!

More photos in the album

2 comments:

  1. It certainly looks like a project you can get your teeth into and I like the idea of the padlock on the privy door. It's great to have things in a property that only you know about and it's always another story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know about my teeth, but at the moment I can certainly get a chisel into it!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.